- Cyndi Zarbano
- Full Day
- Audio and Video
- Mar 30, 2016
- Understanding the Differential: Including “Shift to the Left”
- Identify Types of Acute Kidney Failure from the Labs
- Life-Threatening Electrolyte Imbalances and Interventions
- Master ABG Interpretation Using a Simple Tool
- Systemic Inflammation of Sepsis: Lactate/Procalcitonin Levels
- Reading Cultures and Sensitivities
- The Clues to Liver Failure: Understanding LFTs
- Lab and EKG Clues to Differentiate ACS and MI
Attend this interactive seminar and leave with true integrative understanding of lab results and patient outcomes. Be a CLINICIAN, not a TECHNICIAN . . . be PROactive, not REactive! Learn the hidden clinical clues of labs and empower yourself to change lives as a situationally aware patient advocate powerhouse!
Join Cyndi Zarbano, MSN, BSN, CCRN, CMSRN, CLNC, NLCP, as she demystifies both the common and less frequently seen lab values. You will explore a large variety of labs, why they are ordered, and what the results tell us about your patients. By understanding the clues that these values give you, you can utilize critical thinking to proactively plan the course of care and optimize patient outcomes.
Basic Metabolic Profile (BMP)
- Acid Base
- Renal Function
- Life-threatening Electrolytes
Comprehensive Metabolic Panel: Indications and Implications
- LFTs: Exploring the Liver
- AST/ALT/ALP/Total Bilirubin/Proteins
- Health Issues in Liver Failure
CBC with Differential: Interpreting the Components
- What Can Impact WBC and Neutrophil Findings
- Understanding the Differential
- The Left Shift Explained
- Guidelines on Transfusing have Changed
Acute Renal Failure: Identify the Cause
- BUN/CR ratios
- Glomerular Filtration Rate
- Urine Osmolality
Cardiac Labs: Ischemia vs. Myocardial Infarction
- Cardiac Panels
- EKG Clues Supporting the Findings
- Distinguishing STEMI vs. NSTEMI
Coagulation/Thrombotic Risk Panels: Clues to Clotting
- The Clotting Cascade
- The Right Lab Test for the Medication
- Disseminated Intravascular Coagulopathy
Urinalysis: Does Your Patient Have a UTI?
- Latest Guidelines
Blood Gases: Identifying the Underlying Abnormality
- Three Types of Gases
- Interpreting Arterial Blood Gases: It’s Easier Than You Think!
- Venous Blood Gases
- Mixed Venous Blood Gases
Labs and Sepsis: Taking a Team Approach
- Cultures, Gram Stains and Sensitivities
- Systematic Inflammation
- Labs of Sepsis
- Lactate Levels
- Procalcitonin Levels
Lumbar Punctures / Cerebral Spinal Fluid
- Bacterial Meningitis
- Viral Meningitis
- Viral Encephalitis
Understanding Thyroid Dysfunction
- T4 Levels
- T3 Uptake
Differentiating Hyperglycemic States
- HHS (HHNK)
- Treatment for Each
Cyndi Zarbano, MSN, BSN, CCRN, CEN, PCCN, CMSRN, CLNC, has been a nurse for more than 25 years and a legal nurse consultant (LNC) for 12. Many of her cases in the last decade have been consulting and educating nurses who have gotten into trouble with the board of nursing and helping hem complete their corrective action stipulations. Medication errors and patient injury are a common cause of corrective action, license suspension and loss of license.
Cyndi’s clinical area of expertise has been in various intensive care/critical care roles, currently working for Mayo in Minnesota. She has been a national seminar speaker for over ten years speaking to diverse healthcare audiences throughout the country. During her presentations, she has earned the reputation of keeping attendees engaged with the use of current clinical knowledge, fascinating legal stories, and the interjection of nursing humor to keep it fun.
Financial: Cyndi Zarbano is the owner of Clinical Review Consultants. She receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Cyndi Zarbano has no relevant non-financial relationship to disclose.